Holidays are more than just fun. They are special occasions important for human, emotional, and spiritual life. They are often connected with our culturally-derived beliefs about what is most important.
The holidays are a great time to introduce new activities which are not only fun and stimulating, but educational. Invite your child to practice using tools, arrange flowers, match colors, put on winter clothes, look at a book, and more.
Here is our newly-released video outlining some Montessori-inspired, Christmas-themed activities for babies and toddlers ages 0-3. Hope you enjoy!
1. Celebrate & Discuss Family Traditions (not through a curriculum but through sharing joyful experiences related to your family’s unique traditions)
2. One-to-one correspondence activity: ice cube tray & jingle bells or pom poms using fingers
3. Holiday pom pom transfer with tongs
4. Christmas tree color matching
5. Big, medium, small work
6. Flower arranging
7. Holiday play-doh & cookie cutters
8. Holiday baking
9. Holiday treasure basket
10. Decorating mini-Christmas tree
11. Window clings
12. Cleaning windows
13. Winter clothes basket
14. Christmas book basket
Here are a few other things to keep in mind:
Lessen stress on children by describing any changes in routine before. Tell them when and where you’re going, who will be there, and what they might expect to see. This is a way of demonstrating grace & courtesy paramount in the Montessori environment. A prepared adult is one of the most important parts of the child’s environments. Don’t feel pressured to do it all. Stay relaxed and organized with a few things on your plate rather than overwhelming yourself with a lot.
“The adult himself is part of the child’s environment; the adult must adjust himself to meet the child’s needs and not be a hindrance to him.” – Maria Montessori, The Secret of Childhood
Merry Christmas & Happy Holidays!